Global warming increases due to human activity
The climate is not something static, in fact, in a natural way it has been varying throughout the planet. These changes are related to greenhouse gases and global warming.
Global warming is constituted by the absorption of solar energy by the earth. When the earth warms up, it releases heat into the atmosphere in the form of infrared rays. However, part of this heat is sent back to the earth’s surface and the consequence is its overheating. However, although the greenhouse effect is a natural and necessary phenomenon for the Earth, why is there talk of climate change as a consequence of this greenhouse effect? This is explained by thinking that there has been a gradual and exorbitant increase in this rise in temperature in the atmosphere and oceans.
Human activity , for its part, has been responsible for emitting a greater amount of gases into the atmosphere, causing a greater increase in temperature and, as a consequence, generating global warming.
However, what is still controversial is the source and reason for this increase in temperature. Still, most of the scientific community claims that there is more than 90% certainty that the increase is due to increased concentrations of greenhouse gases from human activities including deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal. These conclusions are endorsed by the science academies of most industrialized countries.
Causes of Global Warming
This phenomenon is caused by two types of causes: natural and artificial.
The natural ones, despite being present for thousands of years, are not enough to make climatic changes.
Man-made causes refer mainly to greenhouse gases, which are mostly caused by carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4) emissions, although there are many others:
- Burning of fossil fuels
- Increase of water vapor in the atmosphere
Consequences of global warming
This phenomenon is a big problem worldwide since it does not affect certain areas, the main consequences are:
- Melting of the glaciers : It will cause the rise of the sea level considerably causing floods and leaving us without the main fresh water reserve on the planet .
- Climate change : It is caused by gases accumulated in the atmosphere that increase the temperature, affecting the climates of different geographical areas and the flora and fauna found there.
- Change in the hydrological cycle : The repercussions of this point range from a change in the pH of the water causing acid rain to hurricanes and more intense storms due to heat.
- Lack of food : This would only affect less developed countries that are totally dependent on agricultural activities, since the heat destroys crops or makes water scarce for irrigation.
Combat Global Warming
To combat global warming, there are different solutions to reduce or prevent the continued increase in temperature on the planet , such as:
- Regulate CO2 emissions : Try to avoid the use of cars by using bicycles or choosing to change our conventional car for an electric or hybrid one.
- Plant more trees : By doing this, the excess CO2 in the environment would begin to decrease and the trees would act as thermoregulators.
- Reduce electricity use : Avoid leaving lights on and unplugging electrical appliances when not in use. Also exchange common bulbs for LED bulbs that have a much lower energy consumption.
- Generate less garbage : We should always buy a product keeping in mind if it can be reused or recycled. On the other hand, prefer glass containers instead of a plastic one since they are much easier to recycle . Finally we must always buy biodegradable disposables.
Other solutions against Global Warming
- Use your car less and use public transport more . If the topography of your town allows it, use the bike to reduce CO2 emissions .
- Use energy saving appliances . Turn them off when not in use and regulate the thermostat of your heating or cooling equipment.
- Eat local food . With this you will be avoiding transport emissions.
- Save the water . Close the faucet when you are not using it and carry out maintenance on the proper functioning of the system.
- Use biodegradable products . Thus, you avoid contamination by plastics , pesticides or detergents that are harmful to the environment .
- Create ties with neighbors to share alternatives . These groups are indispensable in demanding sustainable measures from the authorities.
To fight against Global Warming, in addition to the actions that we can carry out individually, there are international organizations that set the tone for us to coordinate the fight. The Organization of the United Nations (UN) , through its program for the environment , sets the global standard and coordinates efforts to achieve this end.